10.18.2013

Potty Trained!!!!

We officially have a potty trained child in our home!!  Just shy of TWO years with TWO in diapers and we're free!!!  It really is drastically different to have only 1 in diapers.  I can't imagine how awesome it's going to be to have zero in diapers!  Ok, on to the story.  This little girl did it!!  She is potty trained!!  
 We tried a little in the spring and it didn't seem time.  We tried again in the summer and it still didn't seem time but Tuesday morning I woke up with conviction and the feeling that it was time.   The past couple weeks she has been asking every once in a while to go pee-pee on the toilet.  She would go in the bathroom, take her diaper off, and go pee-pee on the toilet.  It seemed like it was time.  So on Tuesday morning I put her underwear on and we went for it.  Things were perfect.  She didn't have any accidents all morning and before lunch she said she needed to go poo-poo.  The fact is, this has been the only thing really holding her back from being potty trained earlier.  She has had a fear of going poo-poo on the toilet.  But I told her she should try it and it will be ok.  She started getting scared and I could see she was going to back out.  I asked her if she wanted to say a prayer.  She said yes.  So I prayed out loud for her.  I asked Heavenly Father to bless her with strength and courage and to help her know that she can do it, etc.  When I was finished she said, "Mommy, you said Heavenly Father."  "Yes,"  I said, "I did."  Then she said, "And he told me yes, I could do it and then I felt happy."  I can't even put into words how touched I felt from this.  Heavenly Father, out of all the things he was doing at that moment, took the time to tell Ali that she could do it and sent the spirit to speak peace to her heart.  I am so happy she was able to express that to me.   I know that Heavenly Father cares for her.  He loves her and is aware of her.  This was something scary and something holding her back from progressing and he helped her through it.  What a cool and very unexpected experience with prayer.  So, she did it.  She pooped and she was so excited!  We called Daddy at work to tell him and we were all so excited!
This princess stuff has been sitting on our fridge for 6 months waiting for her to poop in the toilet.
Her reward for becoming potty trained was a Minnie Mouse bed (twin bed with Minnie Mouse comforter).  We went to the store that evening to buy her comforter.  The next day Daddy brought home her big girl bed and she got to sleep in it for the first time!!  Here's Ali and James trying it out before baths.
 She has LOVED sleeping in her bed so much!
 We are so proud of her!  This week has been a HUGE turning point for her!  On Monday night we went to the mall so I could get my hair cut.  I had kind of planned on her sitting on my lap the whole time because of the anxiety she experiences when I leave her.  Just as it was time for my appointment we asked her if she wanted to go with me to get my hair cut or go with Daddy and James to the Disney Store.  She thought about it for a second and then said, "Disney Store!!!"  I was excited but still wasn't convinced it would happen.  As the time came for them to go right and me to go left she held onto Jimmy's hand and started walking away.  I was so excited.  I turned back around to look at her and she was turned around to look at me.  I blew her a kiss and waved and she said, "Bye Mommy."  And that was it!  I got my hair cut, she had a great time and she did it!  She chose to do something fun without me!  I am so proud of her!!  These little things are such huge victories!
 We're so excited to be celebrating her birthday next week!!
CONGRATS on being potty trained Ali!!