10.29.2011

Easy as 1, 2, 3?

It's crazy being in a place where not only can you not understand a word anyone is saying, but you also can't look up words that you see written. It's hard to flip through a dictionary looking for the characters. The good news is that they write their numbers like we do! What a relief! But get this, they don't show numbers on their fingers like we do! So I need to either learn how to count to ten with my mouth or my fingers. They actually show 1-5 like we do. This seems crazy to me because any time I have tried to show any number with my fingers they act like they don't know what I mean. For instance, I was buying towels the other day and told the lady I needed 2. I help up two fingers. She started filling the bag with towels. I think she put about 16 in there. I have no idea what she thought I meant by my two fingers. We finally got it sorted out and I left with two towels.
one
two
二 èr
Three
三 sān
Four
四 sì
Five
五 wǔ

Six
六 lìu
Seven
七 qī
Eight
八 bā
Nine
九 jiǔ
Ten
十 shí
-or-
Kinda fun. Really not that big of a deal, but it seems so crazy to me that we can't all just hold up the number of fingers to match the number we're talking about.