9.05.2011

Our Apartment is...

There are many adjectives one might use to describe our apartment. Before we got here, we were sent a slide show of our accommodations and the adjectives we used then are probably the opposite of what we use now that we’ve seen it. I’ll use Jimmy’s word because it fits so well- GHETTO. Although ghetto, it’s not awful, just not what we expected. I have already adjusted to the reality of where we live so it’s really not that big of a deal. It reminds me of a lot of apartments I saw on my mission. Same tiled bathroom, same chalky walls and interesting kitchen. Our bedroom has some 70s style carpet that has more of a cheap velvet feel than carpet- fancy! But I am grateful for carpet in at least one room! It’s a perfect place for Ali to play.
An interesting factoid about cleaning in China (at least Shanghai) is that they do not use cleaners. They just wipe or mop with water and you can tell!!! It is obvious that this place has never been cleaned. I became very grateful for the container of Clorox wipes that I felt inspired to bring. I began wiping things down almost immediately. I think my awareness of the dirt and germs added to my aversion to food. But we pretty much have the whole place wiped down by now so we’re doing good. I was just amazed at how dirty every item and surface was that I wiped! Places I didn’t even know could get dirty were disgusting. Almost a week later, it’s starting to feel like home and we’re feeling more comfortable.
(I will add pictures soon. I’m not able to upload them for some reason but we’ll figure it out.)