9.06.2011

Day 4 (Saturday 9/2)

This is how you do it. Anything you need hauled goes on the back of a bike or scooter. We've seen some crazy stuff being moved around town. One guy had his whole house loaded onto the back of a scooter. No joke! A bookcase, chairs, a dresser, bed- it's was crazy!
There are a lot of city workers cleaning the streets throughout the day and this is what they have to sweep with. It is a bamboo stick with branches tied to it. I think I made one of these when I was the Wicked Witch of the West for Halloween a few years back. Who knew I could have saved it for housework?
The branch-broom in action.

We really hadn’t bought much at Carefour. We’ve since wondered why it feels like all we do is visit the markets but I think it’s because back home you can fill your car once a week but here it’s just as much as you can carry on your back. We had mostly been eating PBJs, rice, noodles, carrots and yogurt. Not bad, but we wanted to see if we could make an actually meal sometime. Plus we need to start finding things that Ali likes to eat. I had brought a box of oatmeal for her so at least she is getting that in addition to the other stuff.

Anyway, we set out for Tesco. I was really excited because Tesco was like my favorite store in Czech Republic. Even though the Carefour was a fraction of the size that I was used to seeing in CR I still had hope that Tesco wouldn’t let us down! And it did not disappoint! Oh Tesco, if you were a person I would write you love letters! It was a glorious site! Two floors or stuff!!! Clean stuff! Stuff that didn’t make me fear for the life of my baby and my fetus! Until this point I had been pretty worried. We had walked by a few hospitals and I was beginning to wonder if either of my babies would make it out of here alive. Seems strange to make judgments of future hospital visits on the appearance of a grocery store but that’s just the way it is. There were a lot of fruit and vegetables here that we could eat and they weren’t that expensive. There is the question of whether or not they are safe to eat, but we needed to eat something. So in addition to some groceries we picked up a couple kitchen items and I got to look around at the kid’s sections. I love the little Chinese things for kids.

The walk to Tesco wasn’t bad. I think it was only about 10 or 15 minutes and I could avoid the big intersection with the flights of stairs but getting into Tesco by myself would again, be a problem. So frustrating! How hard is it to just have a shop on street level or make it accessible to everyone!? You have to go up a few steps to get into the building and then down a flight of stairs. From there, there are escalators. And this is NOT like Czech Republic where people will help you with your stroller. They just stare at you. So while I was super excited to have a Tesco nearby, there was still no way I could make the trip with Ali unless Jimmy was with me. If I wasn’t pregnant I’m sure I could manage, but I don’t think it’s a good idea for me to be huffing a 50 lb thing up and down stairs several times a week. We’ll see. Something will work out.

We took another nap but it was a little shorter this time. I wasn’t too worried about it since I knew church would help keep us awake the next day.