9.14.2011

Nanjing Road

I met a girl at playgroup this week who arrived in Shanghai about the same time we did. She is here with her husband and 2 year-old boy. Besides the fact that she's super nice, she was also very inspiring. She said they have been out every day since they got here exploring some place new. I'm not sure if it's the fact that they are here for an internship and know they're leaving in a few months or what, but it made me realize that we need to get out! We've really been wanting to but it seems like something always comes up. So today we got out! We rode the metro to People's Square, which is also the stop that Jimmy will be going to every day for school beginning in 1 week. It was great! That part of the city was SO different from where we are. We went to a section of Nanjing Road called Pedestrian Walkway that is lined with tons of stores. They were all pretty modern and the shops were things like Prada and those kinds of fancy things.


Ali wanted so badly to be down walking and once we put her down she did not want to stop! I am telling you, it was the CUTEST thing! Jimmy would hold one hand but she had to have the other one free so she could wave! She would walk and wave at everyone and laugh and laugh! It was so cute! She walked so much, she actually got a blister. Sad! But she didn't even care!
Of course she found the one leaf on the sidewalk! Our little nature lover!
Lately I have been getting really frustrated with everyone touching her! It started a couple days ago, I just had had it. I don't understand the mind set of having to touch her! She and I were on the bus yesterday, and the two people standing next to us had a hold of all of her extremities! I had to switch her to the other side of me so they would stop grabbing at her. I'm sure it seems silly to be bothered by it, but it's just hard to explain how you feel when you can't be out in public without everyone grabbing at your child. While Ali was walking in People's Square today, Jimmy was on one side of her and I was on the other. As I mentioned, she didn't want anyone holding her other hand but I was walking along side her so no one would walk over and try to pick her up- they would do that. But it didn't stop people from trying to grab her hand. They would come right in between she and I and take her hand. As soon as I saw a hand coming in I would put my hand down to kind of block them from getting her. There was one lady who was just doing this over and over again. The last time I put my hand down to intercept she was already holding Ali's arm so I ended up grabbing the lady's arm and pulling it off of her. I think I grabbed her hand kind of hard but it was just instinct. She finally got the picture and left us alone. I have no problem with people admiring our darling baby but HANDS OFF people! I know you haven't washed your hands since you came out of your mother's belly, it's probably been 1 hour since you sifted through a bin of raw meat, and who knows what else you do! As mother always says, look with your eyes, not your hands!
Well, besides me getting a little aggressive with the locals, it was a fabulous outing and I can't wait to go out again and explore the city with my little family!
The is one of those cool pully cart things. We haven't really seen these in action, this one was just on display. Now they have things like this that are pulled by a scooter. I'll have to get a picture. A friend introduced us to these and they are delish! Pea Snacks! We all love them, especially Ali. And the best part is they are so healthy. It's basically a baked pea.