1.14.2012

Ali Meets James

We've been waiting with anticipation to see how Ali would respond to James. It went so well and I'm relieved that she loves him so much. I was in my bed and James was in the bassinet next to me when Jimmy brought Ali in. She hadn't seen me since that morning and when she saw my face she smiled and wanted to come onto the bed with me. Before she reached the bed she looked up and spotted James. That was her new target. She pointed and said, "Baby". As soon as her feet touched the bed she crawled over and pulled on the side of the bassinet to get a better look. It was love at first sight! She likes babies but she usually isn't as interested in them as she was with James. We've been talking about him for months and it's almost like she understood who he was. We can say, "Where's James?" and she points at him or waves at him.
We put them together and she was so happy and cuddly with him. He looks slightly terrified. He might be right in feeling a little scared.
Then the kisses started. I don't remember if we even told her to kiss him before she laid one on him. Mouth open, of course. I'm hoping that mouth doesn't clamp down into a bite one of these times.
And then it was making sure he had all the right facial features- eyes, nose, mouth, ears. She LOVED looking at his feet and kept pulling his blanket up to look at them.
This is the day Ali met James and it went better than I imagined it would. I can't wait to watch these two grow up together and welcome more siblings into the family as time goes on. I love them and love that they love each other.
And they're already sharing so nicely! He let Ali lay in his bassinet and she was trying to share her snacks with him all day.