3.19.2011

Summertime! ...and the living ain't easy!

I know that summer has not officially begun, but as far as I'm concerned, IT HAS!
Texas Summer Checklist:
Humidity- check
Hot Sun- check
Sweat- check
Fire Ant Bite- check
Mosquito Bite- check
Poisonous Snake Sighting- check
It's amazing how quickly things can go from beautiful to yucky overnight. Fortunately we will still have nice days here and there until the full blown fury of a Texas summer hits for the next (what feels like) eternity.
Ali LOVES to be outside! Unless she's napping we are outside! We got her this cute little sun hat so her face wouldn't get burnt and she loves it!
The past month has been heavenly! We have wandered on the forest paths in 60-70 degree weather and the only creatures we have seen are deer and squirrel. And then this last week we began checking things off on the summer checklist. The most alarming is the amount of snakes we have encountered already! SIX! And one of those was a Copperhead! Jimmy picked up a "Snakes of Southeast Texas" guide last year and it says that Copperheads like to hide in leaves and bites usually occur when victim (freaky word- makes me think of death) accidentally steps on the camouflaged snake. Sadly, our walks in the forest, whose paths are covered in leaves, are over. I also love being outside and am happy to take Ali out every day, so I'm getting more and more nervous about how we are going to survive. My feet and legs are already covered (ok, not covered, but 6 or 7 bites) in fire ant and mosquito bites and I can't imagine her getting them too! We'll see how it goes. We might have to get creative! I'm already designing a kiddy pool tent that will shade, cool, and keep the bugs off. But doesn't that just sound like the bathtub? Maybe that's where we'll be all summer!
I am being a bit dramatic (or maybe I'm not) and there are good things about the summer here. Like the beach!! I CANNOT wait to go and take Ali! She already has a little swimsuit!